Stuff!

Saturday 5 February 2011

I like the Dandy, but I also like the Beano, but which one's better?

There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!

(Excuse the Harry Hill's TV Burp inspired title, I hate the guy but the title has a good tie in with what this blog post is about...)

But really which one's better?

First of all you've got the Beano, despite being the Dandy's sister comic and coming a year later or so, the Beano is more well known... With characters like the world famous Dennis the Menace and Gnasher, Minnie the Minx, The Bash Street Kids, Roger the Dodger and Biffo the Bear; the Beano will always be known... but recently the comic has began to have a downfall, more reprints appearing (at the moment: Calamity James, The 3 Bears, Little Plum (I think), Robbie Rebel and Stripz), more adverts (taking up more pages as well) and most importantly, the humour. The Beano has some funny moments but since the 'new' Dennis and Gnasher TV series aired the Beano has gotten worse and worse... Maybe it's because characters like Lord Snooty and Biffo the Bear have gone... Who knows? But even though the comic is getting worse, at least we've still got some great new characters (since revamp) like Meebo and Zuky and Beano Manga...


Then you've got the Dandy, the comic which in my opinion is better... What I find admirable about the Dandy is their new revamp... It's fantastic, just when we thought it was all going to end on the more magazine based Dandy Xtreme, BAM! We get the brand new Dandy! Sure it has characters like who are celebrities and Harry Hill's become the main character... I guess this is what's keeping the comic going but we must be pleased that Harry Hill is now only 2 pages and the only celebrity comic strip in there! I don't care what people say, the 'new' Desperate Dan is great (he's not actually new, Jamie's been drawing him since 2008), Jamie's adopted the style well and it's a great treat to see his Desperate Dan in there! There are still problems with the comic... For instance, Korky the Cat becoming a shorts character... But recently he's been getting quite a few 1 page comic strips! Hooray! Sure, Cuddles and Dimples have gone, Winker Watson and Bully Beef and Chips have long since gone and other stars like Brassneck, Beryl the Peril and Blinky have all faced the axe but instead we've got new characters that are even more funny like George VS Dragon, Pre-Skool Prime Minister, Robot on the Run and Postman Prat... Also old classics have been kept in there like Desperate Dan, Korky the Cat and Bananaman as well as Dandy Xtreme characters The Bogies and Doctor Loo...

So the Dandy wins the fight for me... I'll draw a picture for this soon...

Post who you think should win below please! :)

1 comment:

  1. Just sent an email to the Dandy. Anyone want to have a go at me, or agree with me? The email was as follows: What's happened? Sorry, but I have to say that the new Dandy is horrific compared to the old one. I remember, in the good comic there was all of these adverts for the 'new style' comic. I didn't think it could be too bad - and it wasn't. It was a lot worse, but I could handle it and continued to buy the comics. However, once I picked up my first issue of Dandy Xtreme I literally stopped reading them. The overall quality of content has really reduced. Especially within the art and storylines. I am 15, and if the Dandy and Beano were as good as they used to be before their 'new style' - I would start reading it again. I liked it how it was in the early 2000-2005. Yesterday, I was in ASDA and saw the new Dandy 2012 annual - the first thing that caught my eye was Bananaman. What on earth has happened to Bananaman? He went from a heroic, slightly silly super hero into an utter prat! Looking in the annual, the story was also horrific - Eric being born as a snot-covered fat baby, with a clearly abusive mother (what's this horrid obsession with snot? You've been doing it for ages - it's still not funny). I also noticed how you totally destroyed Corporal Clott, Korky and Brain Duane. Admittingley, Winker Watson wasn't too bad. I would also say that the Beano is no-where near as good as it used to be, but this is a Dandy email - I won't go into that now.

    Sorry if this email seems horribly rude, I am just trying to point out what I believe. And it's not just me - I have friends who used to read the Dandy (and Beano), along with my parents and grandparents - who all think that the newer comic style is terrible.

    I'd just like a response on what you guys think.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete